Pages

Spaghetti alla Carbonara


Carbonara is my go-to dinner when I have nothing planned because it's quick and easy to make (it also helps that it's Steven's favorite dish). All five ingredients are staples in my fridge or pantry: bacon, parmesan, eggs, pepper, and spaghetti. Most recipes call for pancetta and Parmigiano Reggiano but I usually just have bacon and parmesan. You must use freshly ground black pepper for this dish because I think the kick you get from it is extremely important and can't be matched with preground pepper. There’s no salt in the actual dish (only in the pasta water) because the bacon and cheese provide enough.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara
4 oz bacon, chopped
2 eggs
1/2 C grated parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper, generous amount but to taste
8 oz spaghetti

Heat skillet over medium heat and crisp bacon. After a few minutes I turn the heat down to medium low, it takes a bit longer but it slowly renders out all the fat. I also crisp the bacon in a cast iron skillet so I can season the pan at the same time.

When the bacon is almost done crisping, bring salted water to a boil for cooking the pasta. After the bacon is crisp, drain on paper towels and start cooking the spaghetti.

As the spaghetti cooks, beat eggs, parmesan, and pepper together in a bowl. The sauce must be prepared before the pasta is done cooking.

When the pasta is al dente, quickly drain but reserve some of the pasta water to loosen the sauce if needed. Immediately return the pasta to the pot (off heat) and pour the egg mixture over the pasta, add the bacon, and quickly stir into the pasta. The residual heat from the pasta and pot will cook the eggs and thicken it into a sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce has thickened and evenly coats the pasta. Work quickly otherwise the eggs will scramble rather than temper into a smooth and creamy sauce. If the sauce is too thick add a bit of the pasta water to loosen it. Serve immediately.

Serves 2 (doubles very well).

I'm going to submit this recipe for Ruth's Presto Pasta Night. Check out this week's roundup for more great pasta recipes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment